Friday, April 18, 2014


THE PANDAVAS GOING TO THE EKACHAKRA CITY II Now it was the turn of the wife of the poor Bramana to talk her mind out. She said to her husband 'you need not go to the Rakshasa. I will myself go to him and be killed. I have borne you two children and my duty to yourself has been discharged. Protecting her husband and children is the highest duty of a wife and allow me to do that. Suppose you go and get killed by the Rakshasa what can I do to bring up the children. I have no means to bring up the children. When the time for marriage comes to your daughter then people who are unworthy of her hands will seek her hands in marriage. They may even forcibly take her away. As a widow I will also be facing harrowing experiences everyday. Your son may not get good education in the Vedas et al. Therefore without any doubt without you all three of us will die. It is an act of merit where the wife dies before her husband. Give me the chance for that. Nobody in this world is greater or more valuable to one than himself. Therefore sacrifice me for saving you and our children. Those that are conversant with the morals or Dharma would say that the women should not be killed. The Rakshasa's also know that Dharma and the Rakshasa Baka may leave me while he may not leave you. You can after my death marry another one and get children from her and also look after our children. There is no sin in this'. HEARING ALL THIS NOW THEIR DAUGHTER STARTED TO TELL REASONS WHY SHE COULD BE SACRIFICED FOR THAT RAKSHASA. The daughter says 'why you are weeping as though there is none to look after you. As per the shastras you have to abandon me isn't it. By marriage you are sure to abandon me. Why not abandon me now to this Rakshasa and save yourself. The man desire children because they will rescue them from the difficulties. I will now rescue you all from this difficulty. This my brother is a very young child. Suppose if either of you die he is sure to perish. Then who will give the offerings to our departed ancestors. Bereft of my parents how will I take care of him. The son is one's own self. The wife is one's friend and the daughters' are the source of trouble. Do you people therefore save yourself from the trouble by sending me to the Rakshasa'. Hearing these words of their daughter the poor Bramana and his wife were still more painful in their heart and were crying. Then their only son of tender years took a grass into his hands and was telling them that he would kill the Rakshasa with that grass. At this every body laughed. At this time Kunti made and entry into their conversation and asked what was the reason for their grief and if she could do something to help them out. To her the Bramana says 'your speech is sweet like nectar. But this grief is incapable of being redressed by anybody. This land belongs to a King who doesn't know the art of ruling. He is of limited intelligence. An Asura by name Baka has taken pocession of this city. He lives in the outskirts of this city with his retinue. Protected by his mighty arms we live without any fear in this city. But this protection comes with a fee. Each family in this city should send one truck load of food to him along with two buffaloes and one man for him to eat. Usually the man who is to be eaten goes driving the cart. This turn comes to a family after a long time to each family in this city. Tomorrow is our turn. I have to go to him. I don't have any money to send some body in my place. Therefore I have to go to him. IT IS SAID THAT ONE SHOULD FIRST ACQUIRE A GOOD KING THEN A WIFE AND THEN WEALTH. IF WE GO IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION WE END UP WITH GRIED AS WE ARE IN NOW. I shall go to that Rakshasa today with all my family so that he could devour us all at once'. IT IS WORTHWHILE TO REMEMBER HERE WHAT SWAMI VIVEKANANDA HAD SAID 'THE WEAK PAY MORE THAN THE STRONG'. HERE THE PERSON AFFLICTED WITH GRIEF IS NOT ABLE TO SEND SOME ONE ELSE ON HIS BEHALF BY GIVING HIM MONEY OR THE INMATES OF THE CITY ARE NOT ABLE TO KILL THE ASURA HENCE THEY ARE PAYING THIS HIGH PRICE. To him what Kunti says we will see tomorrow.

No comments: